Saturday 13 December 2014

Rising above Fear - It's okay to beat fear sometimes!

As a child I remember going on various holidays in the hills. No Bengali vacation is ever complete without a trip to Darjeeling or Gangtok. This was back in my childhood when I visited Darjeeling. The Mall Road in Darjeeling is quite famous for some great restaurants, scores of handloom shops and quite a big population of horses!  Going for a horse ride through the entire stretch of road there is the favorite past time of all tourists in Darjeeling. And I gave in to it and went for a horse ride. I must be some 6 or 7 year old that time.

This horse riding is nothing like a horse riding that we understand from the movies or anything. They simply strut and walk in the slowest pace possible and you get to enjoy the scenery of the lush green hills around you. Now these horses have this uncanny habit of walking on the extreme edge of the road. I don’t know if they are trained that way to give you a scare or something else. So every time I pushed it towards the road it came back walking on the earthen stretch that you have between the road and the deep gorges. And the sight of the depth of green scared the hell out of me. It was a scary horse ride of the life where any moment you could have fallen down the slopes.

When I came to Bangalore later with work we used to plan several weekend trips with friends. Bangalore is a lovely place with great connectivity to many tourist spots. We went rock climbing at one instance. The fear of height was like a latent force in my mind and I had forgotten almost about it. We trekked for a few hours and then climbed up this hillock. As we started climbing up – the first moment I saw down I felt the fear rising through my body. Can I do this? What if I fall? What if I broke my legs? Too many thoughts clouded my mind. But I held on to my nerves. It’s best to resist looking down or looking back. And without shifting my eye sight anywhere other than the top of the hillock I climbed up along with my friends.

Reaching the top gave a huge joy and boost to my morale. The light breeze the morning sun shine calmed us down. I dared to look down the depth from top and it definitely was scary. But now that we were on top the fear was little less. May be I had just risen above my fear. We sat there chatting on top for a long time and the trainer explained how many groups of youngsters came climbing there and how some of them always waited at the base and never muster the courage to climb up!


And guess what I have done. Much later when we were planning to buy our own apartment in Bangalore we picked up one on the 12th floor!! So now I don’t mind looking down from my 12th floor balcony and enjoy the awesome view.    


Check out this video by Mountain Dew on a very similar incident


Visit https://www.facebook.com/mountaindewindia for more awesome videos. 

This post of mine has been written for Indi Happy Hours in association with Mountain Dew India.

No comments:

Post a Comment